Guava and White Chocolate Mousse Cake

This is the last cake/dessert I made before going on vacation tonight for 5 weeks (yes, you read it correctly, 5 whole weeks!!!). I'm not sure if I will be able to bake or post anything during those weeks, but will try to.



This is a guava and white chocolate mousse cake. I made this combo once before, but wasn't very satisfied with the guava flavor in the mousse. I used guava juice and reduced it to about 1/4 of the original amount, but still the guava taste wasn't there. About a month ago, I found a frozen guava juice concentrate and of course I excitingly grabbed one with a hope of this is the answer of my guava experimentation ;).

So, since the name is "guava concentrate", I thought that I won't need much of it, but I was WRONG. It is thick, pink, and sweet with a little tartness, but the guava taste is not strong at all!!! I ended up using the whole tub (about 400g) and just a little cream for single layer of 8-in filling. The texture (before set) was liquid-y. I've never made a mousse this thin before and I was scared that the gelatin I put in the first place wasn't enough to set the mousse. I put the leftover guava mousse in a glass and refrigerate it to see if it would set and the morning after, and it did (so yay!), my fear was conquered.



Decided to use white chocolate for decoration, but it was a pain. It's quite humid and warm lately, and the sensitive white chocolate just not being so cooperative. Everytime I take it out of the fridge for 2 seconds, it would just soften. So, I scraped them all off and re-melt it again and made a thicker decoration. This one was better.

So, here it is. Again, it's decorated just a couple of minutes before I had to leave for work. I didn't even had time or bother to smooth out the top. Put a ribbon around, and there you go.
The guava color is very pretty (although I think it's too pinky for guava). The flavor is somewhat misleading. One of my friends even though that it's a raspberry mousse (duuuhhh???), well, the color is the same as raspberry, and the tartness is the same too, but come on. I guess the search for the perfect guava mousse doesn't end here. The overall taste is still great, but I would keep continuing my search for the real pink guava puree to make this mousse.

5 comments:

Breadpitt said...

i think ur puff and this new mousse cake were lovely. keep on posting

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi bertha
i simply loved your blog and the posts. This guava and white chocolate mousse cake is really good and i am happy for passing by your blog

Bertha said...

breadpitt and anamika, thank you so much for your lovely comments.
I want to post more often, but I keep struggling with time (everybody does, right? ;) )

Anonymous said...

please can you post the recipe for this cake?

Bertha said...

Anonymous: I didn't keep my notes for this recipe as it was one of my experiment and I wasn't satisfied with it.

I found guava puree instead of concentrate and I am planning to remake this properly. hopefully it will turn out better this time