Tartelettes Croustillantes Abricots et Cerises (Apricot and Cherry Crumble Tartlets)


Some people like changes, and some don't. I am the second part of the group, I don't like changes. I recently move cube to a different building. I was in that previous building for about 4.5 years, I made friends and become close to a lot of them. Being in a completely new environment scared me. Although I have to say that my current work schedule is not as crazy as before, which is always good.

Speaking about changes, I don't know how many more weeks I can talk about summer here as we can definitely feel the change in the season here. The sun sets earlier, temperature drops to mid 70's (still gorgeous), more chilly at night and in the morning. But in the meantime, I will still talk and post about my summer dessert at least for a couple more weeks.



About two months ago or so, I found what they called black apricot at Costco. I don't normally buy my fruits at Costco, in fact, I try to avoid it but I couldn't resist when the box says "the sweetest fruit on earth". Now who can resist that! I, of course, felt challenged and immediately grabbed one container full of them.

They look a lot like plum, but the skin is not smooth like plum, it has a skin texture like an apricot. I opened one to taste it and it did taste a lot like plum, very sweet! But the sweetest fruit on earth? I don't think so. I do however, enjoyed this a lot, it is sweet and gives a lot of juice, which is perfect for a hot summer day.


After days (or even a week I think) went by, I still have quite a few left. Our fridge is always loaded with fruits, more so during summer time. Apple, orange, banana, are the usual residents, but you will see a lot of summer fruits like cherry, watermelon, mango, yellow kiwi, apricot, pluot, plum, berries, etc.


I flipped through my cookbook and found this "apricot or cherry tartteletes" in this book by Laduree. I thought this would be perfect to test the book. The recipe is not too difficult at all. It has basic components such as pate sucree, almond cream, slices of apricot or pitted cherries, and topped with crumble before dusted with powdered sugar. I had some pate sucree dough ready and the crumble in the freezer, so all I need to do is make the simple almond cream and the crumble. Easy (I Love leftovers!!)


The tart turned out really well, not too sweet at all. Instead of yellow apricot or cherry like the book suggested, I used a combination of black apricot, yellow apricot, and cherry. I served some with vanilla ice cream too, but it was great on its own.

Tartelettes Crouistillantes Abricots et Cerises
Adapted from Laduree Sucree

Pate Sucree (from this recipe)
Crisp sweet pastry for crumble topping (from this recipe)

Creme d'Amandes (Almond Cream)
100 g butter
100 g confectioners' sugar
100 g ground almonds
10 g cornstarch 2 eggs
1 Tbs. rum
  • Cut the butter into small pieces and put in a large heatproof bowl.
  • Place over a pan of gently simmering water or in the microwave to soften until creamy, without allowing it to melt
  • Incorporate the following ingredients into the butter, making sure to mic well after each addition: confectioners' sugar, ground almonds, cornstarch, eggs, rum
Pistachio Almond Cream
250 g almond cream (recipe above)
3 Tbs. pistachio paste
15 g shelled raw pistachio + 5 g shelled pistachio for decoration
  • Chop pistachio and add to the almond cream, along with the pistachio paste.
  • Preheat oven to 340F.
  • Remove tartlet shells from the refrigerator. Using a fork, prick the surface of the dough to keep from pulling up during baking.
  • Fit a round piece of parchment paper over the dough, carefully pressing into the corners and working up the sides so it will stay in place in the oven.
  • Place dried beans or pie weights on top, spreading them out in an even layer.
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes until lightly colored.
  • Take tartlet shells out of the oven and remove pie weights and parchment paper.
  • Leave the oven on

Wash and pit the apricots, cut them in slices. Remove pit from cherries.

Filling:
  • Transfer the pistachio almond cream to the piping bag fitted with a plain tip.
  • Pipe cream into tartlet shells and arrange fruits in a decorative pattern on top
  • Cover with crumble dough, using piece of various shapes and sizes.
  • Return tartlets to oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool
  • Dust with confectioners' sugar and sprinkle a few crushed pistachio on top.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this thing is sooooo yummmm, if you have more leftover, dont forget this poor bro of yours

Anonymous said...

ah... i made these some months back as well! The pistachio paste used in the creme d'amandes didnt really work well for me though. Quite overpowering!~